Please note that this position is no longer available. If you would like to be considered for similar opportunities now or in the future, feel free to click "Pursue this Position" and set up a notifier for yourself.
CA - Irvine
Opportunity Snapshot This position offers you the opportunity to join the "ground floor" team launching the new and highly energetic Interactive Division of one of the nation's largest media companies. You'll design a wide variety of projects in different media, from full-blown microsites to sales one-sheets, supporting people in diverse local business units who will appreciate the professional edge you design into their materials. While we'll expect you to bring talent across a spectrum of tools and technologies, you'll also be able to learn new ones in this role.
To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have experience in web, multimedia, and print design, including a demonstrated ability to complete projects quickly and creatively. We're looking for a professional with an "in-the-now" aesthetic sense. Experience with video is a strong plus.
Freedom Communications, Inc (FCI), the nation's 12th largest media company, is a privately owned diversified media company that integrates newspapers (28 daily and 37 weekly newspapers, with a combined daily circulation of more than 1.2 million subscribers), broadcast television stations (five CBS, three ABC, and five UW network affiliates), and interactive media businesses.
What Else You'll Bring to the Table In addition to the qualifications detailed above, you'll need:
NOTE: you don't need to know every program and language listed above as long as you can get the job done -- we are less interested in the journey than in the destination. At the same time, you will have opportunities to learn any tools and technologies you're not already familiar with.
- The ability to create great designs under pressure.
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to balance multiple simultaneous projects.
- Extreme attention to detail and consistency.
- Self-motivation and confidence in dealing with challenging situations in a dynamic setting.
- The ability to think out of the box and implement creative solutions.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Proficiency in design software such as Adobe Creative Suite, Quark Xpress, Flash, Freehand, and Fireworks.
- Skill with HTML design editors such as Dreamweaver.
- Strong knowledge of Windows and Mac operating systems.
What's in It for You "Ground floor" opportunity -- we anticipate tremendous success in this new venture, and as you contribute to that success, you will be in a position to take advantage of the "upward draft" of opportunity it creates.
Broad impact in growth environment -- you will contribute to a wide array of projects for diverse business units across the country, helping them be successful in the interactive space, a market that is the fastest growing portion of the media industry today.
Great work environment -- you'll join a group that has both the entrepreneurial energy of a start-up and the stability and resources of $1B Freedom Communications.
Excellent compensation -- we offer a competitive salary, bonus potential, and a comprehensive benefits package including all that you would expect as well as a few features that might pleasantly surprise you.
More About Your Role If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details.
Reporting to our Creative Director, you will be a valued member of the Marketing team of our Interactive Division. The Division acts as a centralized resource for all of our business units and leads corporate-wide initiatives. You will develop and implement design projects, including the development of microsites, print and web advertising, sales/marketing promotional materials and collateral, tradeshow collateral, HTML/CSS page layouts, and other materials.
You'll take on a steady flow of projects, some of which may take one day to complete while others take a month. While the workload is not overwhelming, you will need to leverage your organizational skills to manage multiple projects and competing priorities. Typically you will collaborate with Marketing, Sales and IT professionals within the Division, but you also may interact with people in the business units. Your specific activities will include:
- Creating and producing designs for a variety of print, web and multimedia projects.
- Utilizing your online design expertise to update current sites.
- Developing web pages, microsites and rich media ads.
- Lead other designers to produce high quality, successful projects.
- Implementing and maintaining design guidelines and styles.
- Working with third parties to deliver or receive assets needed for collaborations.
Keys to Success In order to be an outstanding Graphic Designer, you will:
If this sounds like the right mix of challenge and opportunity for you, and you meet the minimum qualifications, we want to hear from you!
- Remain willing to "roll up your sleeves" and handle both production and design work.
- Bring a high level of professionalism (AKA "a thick skin"), including being open to the opinions of multiple stakeholders and staying flexible as business needs change.
- Demonstrate a strong degree of self-motivation, bringing fresh enthusiasm and creativity to each new project.
- Achieve your goals autonomously, while keeping the Creative Director in the loop.
Who We Are Freedom Communications, Inc (FCI) was officially established in 1950 but our roots reach back to 1935, when Publisher R.C. Hoiles acquired the Santa Ana Register, the first of many media businesses that would make up FCI. Today we are a privately owned diversified media company with an employee base of over 7,000.
The company is in the midst of an exciting period of growth and transformation. We continue to innovate by looking for new business opportunities through a mix of acquisitions and internal growth, developing our Interactive business, and pushing the envelope in online, on-air, and print media delivery.
Freedom Communications Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. EOE M/F/D/V